Voicing Steinway-need sustain!

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:26:50 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Lance,

That's killer octave country. I'm afraid you probably have a soundboard
problem, not a voicing one. Check bearing and crown in that area. You will
quite likely find little, or none, of one, or both. There isn't a field
repair that I know of, or I could be rich by Tuesday. If you find a flat
board, and/or no bearing, call Steinway and test the warranty. Whoops,
almost forgot, check the tightness of the bell bolt. If it's loose, you can
get this effect.

Ron

>Greetings my fellow keyboard pecking friends.  I just moved my shop and
>family and am nearly back in business.  I do not recommend moving.
>
>I have a customer with a five year old B in need of sustain in the lower
>treble section.  He first needed volume, I added hardener to the low
>shoulders, got the volume and clarity on the attack, but the sound drops
>off immediately and we have no sustain on several of the notes.  I will
>next check the strike point in that area, although the high notes are
>right.  When I voice Abel hammers, I stick the needle deep down the
>shoulder along the molding for sustain, but was reluctant to try the same
>on the Steinway hammer.  Any suggestions?
>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>New Orleans Chapter
>Covington, LA.
>lafargue@iamerica.net