older Steinway wippens

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:31:17 -0400

If you don't know the answers to these questions, how can you
justifiably sell them an action rebuilding?  There is a bigger chance
than you realize that by replacing parts you will not see a signifcant
improvement or even make it worse.

Hammers are in need of moderate filing, file. Teflon bushings
are not the scurge many would like you to believe.

Determine their their playing needs then decide whether the whippens
are suitable, they could be reconditioned.

Regulate and lubricate as it is. If it does not suit their playing habits
then further steps can be taken. It just might suit their needs as is.

As far as the hammers moving on the rail, replace the present cloth
with fine emery cloth.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
PS. If you talk them into replacing the h/s/f 's - I'll buy them from you.