older Steinway whippens

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:51:35 -0400

At 06:42 PM 8/12/98 EDT, you wrote:
>My recommendation would be to encourage your customer to rebuild the action
>with all new parts. If they don't want to do that, I would suggest you walk
>away from it.
>
>This is a case where the rebuilder did more harm than good by not doing it
>right in the first place. For you to try to fix his problems it is going to
>more headaches than you probably want to undertake. The bottom line is that
>your customer will want the job done right. So unless you have new parts to
>work with, it's just not going to work.
>
>Willem Blees RPT
>St. Louis

He never said the old parts were failing. How can he be sure the parts are
not
worthy if he doesn't attempt regulating them. This is where experience is
achieved. You might surprise yourself at how good those whippens can be.

I have many old actions in customer's homes which function satisfactorily.

New parts are not always the answer.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)