Inharmonicity

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:02:53 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/98 6:59:06 PM, pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu wrote:

<<" From time to time I read about inharmonicity of piano strings on this
 list.  I would be grateful if someone would clarify for me exactly what
 inharmonicity is and how it affects piano tuning. ">>

Gary;
 Now that Dr. Coleman, and others, have answered your technical question re:
"inharmonicity", it is time to take a more philosophical look at the
phenomenon.

  The inherent inharmonicity in piano scales is what makes tuning an 'art' as
much as a 'science'.  It is this portion of the tuners duties which allows the
greatest degree of latitude in application of their pet theories and the
personalization of tunings for any given instrument.

 Since we can't remove inharmonicity we must work with it and this causes
discussions beyond all realms of reasonablness as to the "correct tuning or
temperament" for any given instrument.  Inharmonicity also supplies much
discussion fodder for bridges/soundboards/
bearings/terminations/strikepoints/hammers/damping nodes, etc..

 Thank goodness for inharmonicity,  it contributes to individual instruments a
part of their personality and allows us to apply our 'artful' skills to the
best results.
Jim Bryant (FL)