older Steinway wippens

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:22:59 EDT

>I'm wondering how much
>of a morass I'll be getting myself into if I attempt to do the best I can
>by regulating these parts, without selling them on a complete action
>rebuild (new hammers, shanks & flanges, new wippens, etc).
>Any comments/suggestions?

    I think you would do well to check a few of the strike ratios in this
action and see if the parts are actually compatable.  How much lead is in the
key, and what are the up and down weights with the present configuration?
    A lot of the older whippens are beginning to show verdigris, and if the
pinning is sluggish on the whippens and balanciers, you will be better off
replacing the whippens.
    I would try to sell an entirely new action.
Regards,
Ed Foote