Inharmonicity

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 18:18:58 -0700 (MST)

I give my personal thanks to God who has established the laws of physics
and inharmonicity in particular. For, this is one of the things which makes
it difficult to reproduce realistic piano sounds in cheap keyboard
instruments and it has kept me busy studying it since 1949. We don't know
all there is to know about it yet. We do know a lot more about it now than
we did 20 years ago.

Later I'll write more on this subject.

Off subject.

I especially enjoyed the contribution of McCord on weighting the soundboard
assembly. Did you know that Alfred Knight weighted his bridges to increase
duration? When at the CG Conn co. Charles Walter and others of us did tests
to see what are the advantages of this in small pianos. Weighting is more
effective in the Bass and low Tenor than in other places.

Jim Coleman, Sr.