older Steinway whippens

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:18:15 -0700 (PDT)

>...New parts are not always the answer.
>
>Jon Page
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>I believe it is a mistake to allow your customers' requirements to define
>your standards. If you want to climb the ladder in a craft business, set
>high standards.
>
>David McCord

I have to side with Jon on this one.  Blanket or wholesale endorsement of
replacement of parts is not always the appropriate course.

As a crude example: It would make me kind of wonder if a dentist who
discovers I have numerous cavities due to extreme neglect and use said,
"Yank 'em all 'cause the teeth you were born with aren't worth it."  I'd be
very suspect of someone who recommended that course of correction until
clear evidence was shown it would be in my best interest to let go of the
"originals" I was born with.

I'd like to keep what I got until it becomes absolutely necessary to
replace.  Once the originals are gone, there's no turning back.  No less
with fine pianos.

My experience,

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net