older Steinway whippens

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:54:51

At 12:02 AM 8/13/98 -0400, Jon wrote:
>An old saying comes to mind:
>"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
>
>These old parts have to be adjusted in order to ascertain
>their potential. Sometimes more than a quick  - one/two -
>is needed but you have to start somewhere.

If you have grave doubts about whether the old ones will
be good enough, there's nothing to prevent your regulating
and/or repinning samples instead of the whole action, to
see how they do. Not that much time invested if you decide
on new parts after all.

Likewise, it might be good to install a few sample new parts
next to the regulated old samples, so the customer can have
something definite to compare. After all, a lot of money is
involved, and sometimes the new geometry isn't as good as the
old. If it's this major a job, the time involved to do this
shouldn't be prohibitive.

Susan
>Or a car mechanic who claims you need a new engine when a valve job will do.
>
>Jon Page
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)

Someone did this to me once ... I didn't get the new engine, and I never
went back.

(Jon, is that blip in your second ~~~~~~~~~~ line a beauty spot?)

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com