Inharmonicity - so what actually causes it ?

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:16:49 +1200

Dear Inharmonicity,

I read all your knowledgeable definitions - OK - but for me the real
questions are:

1) WHAT are the specific properties of the piano string and scaling
components etc. that actually CAUSE it ???

2) Which of these properties are ranked the MOST significant and the
least significant contributors ???

3) How does one justify it in the piano compared with other string
instruments ???

4) What are the perceptual properties that APPEAL to the listener ???

5) Do composers, deliberately or unconsciously, make use of
inharmonicity ???

6) How do we measure it ???

7) Should it, or could it, be effectively REDUCED to the betterment of
the piano sound ???

etc.
etc.
etc.

AlanD (shouting timbre - or is it tambra)