older Steinway whippens

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:24:03 EDT

<< If
 the old parts can be made to work _well_, or even _as well as the customer
 wishes_, they are definitely the best value for money, and failing to
 explain this and to find out if they will be good enough I feel ignores
 your customer's needs and wishes.

 Susan >>

The problem with this theory, Susan, is the key phrase, "as well as the
customer wishes".  How do you know what the customer wishes?  It is not until
you are done with  the action that the customer is going to say "I like it",
or "it's not what I want". In the former, you're off the hook. But if it is
the latter, and you've had to work with older parts, and they have been made
to work as well as they can, then what's the next step?  Either you tell the
customer, "sorry, this is as good as it gets", or you tell him, "sorry, if you
want it better, you'll have to pay for new parts". In either case, it's going
to cost the customer more money in the long run. And the side effect of that
is, the customer is not going to be happy with you. That is, unless you told
him all of this in the beginning, and he understood the consequenses of using
the older parts.

Willem Blees