basic questions

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:37:51 -0700

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>          Now comes the $64,000.00 (U.S.) question, is hammer reshapeing not
> considered voicing or toneing?
>  I have been conducting experiments for the last three years on some
> University grands, that were rehammered. Instead of very light sanding and
> light needling every 12 months, I have steamed the grooves out with a
> slightly damp cloth, initial indications seem to show that you can "pop
> out" the grooves, minimising the amount of needling and reshaping. Two
> advantages that I can see, less mass removal, therefore less touch weight
> variance, less invasive due to the requirement to needle. If you are going
> to try this the cloth should be bearly damp, and not wet as in radical
> toning down. If you have had no experience with steam this is NOT the place
> to start.
>   Rob you commented about a three week thread, I'll help play devils advocate.
> Regards Roger

Very interesting, Roger...

I suppose this could relate to the idea of raising the grain on wood
using a little water. As a result putting the hammers back into service
and beating them against the strings in the identical location, however,
I would think that the effert would be short term. Have you noticed this
at all??? I would also expect that complete revoicing with hardener
would also be a requirement since steam would most definently make them
softer.

I have never considered placing a damp cloth over hammers for steaming.
This is used in conjunction with a heat gun, correct? How long does this
take?

You may have one the $64K prize here but before I right a check I would
really be interested in knowing how long the results last. Okay, let's
all gear up for that 3-week thread...

Rob Goodale, RPT