Visualizing Strings - (what are they doing in the dark that we don't know about?)

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:20:18 +1200

Dear List,

About 10 years ago I began assembling the components to build a high
intensity Xenon Strobe (light) which together with a Hewlett Packard
Spectrum Analyzer, Signal/Pulse Generator etc. would enable me to SEE
just what the strings in different pianos where doing that gave them
their individual tonal qualities. All the components are still in
boxes and I am still in the dark. I still don't have the time/staff to
do it myself or the money to commission the experiment or product
development.

What I envisaged was that we could produce a device, somewhat similar
to an Automotive Timing Light, which, together with analytical
instructions (for more serious work some appropriate
ancillary/optional equipments), may be helpful in the design, problem
solving, voicing etc. of pianos (and perhaps other stringed
instruments).

This is how it MAY work:

1) Point the FLASH at a particular point/string
2) Adjust the FREQUENCY of the flash to capture/freeze the strings
resonance/partials etc.
3) Make notes about the observed conditions
4) Make adjustments to the offending string/hammer etc.
5) Re-view the effects by repeating the strobe
etc.

Just think of ALL those niggley problems that occur - they can be
heard - but - because they can't be seen or readily measured - they
can't be easily pinpointed or accurately identified.

Perhaps someone has already done this ?

I would appreciate the lists comments about the potential value of
such a diagnostic tool.

If it has NOT already been done, I estimate we could manufacture a
basic unit for perhaps a few hundred dollars US - ancillary equipment
could perhaps be included in "Visual Spectral Display" on a
computer/laptop screen (IBM PC fitted with an appropriate audio
capture card and software giving a storage scope facility) or an
addition to some ATU (I've never seen an Auto-Tune-Device" or even
literature so am quite ignornat about how this might be achieved).

AlanD (who believes that - if we can measure it, we can analyze it,
and then apply our imagination and creativity towards making a better
world)