Inharmonicity - so what actually causes it ?

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:20:24 +1200

Many thanks to Gary for raising the initial question and to Newton +
Jim + Conrad etc. for your answers - I have placed these all in a
folder and we merge all the points for future reference - good stuff
chaps - did not see any MORE questions added though - I do have more
:-))) but another day perhaps - in the meantime how about analyzing
string motion with strobe lighting (I was preparing to do this about
10 years ago - ran out of time/money) - see my NEW posting.

Just one further question for the moment:

My observation/understand was that the energy in the vertical
vibration, of a imperfectly supported string, is converted into
CIRCULAR (not horizontal as stated below), secondary, motion and that
this exaggerates/exacerbates inhamonicity. Is this true ?

Thanks again - AlanD (trying to shine a light on the strings so he can
see)