Visualizing Strings - (what are they doing in the dark that we don't know about?)

R. Goodale robert.goodale@nau.edu
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:10:38 -0600

Alan W Deverell wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> About 10 years ago I began assembling the components to build a high
> intensity Xenon Strobe (light) which together with a Hewlett Packard
> Spectrum Analyzer, Signal/Pulse Generator etc. would enable me to SEE
> just what the strings in different pianos where doing that gave them
> their individual tonal qualities.
SNIP
> What I envisaged was that we could produce a device, somewhat similar
> to an Automotive Timing Light, which, together with analytical
> instructions (for more serious work some appropriate
> ancillary/optional equipments), may be helpful in the design, problem
> solving, voicing etc. of pianos (and perhaps other stringed
> instruments).
SNIP
> Just think of ALL those niggley problems that occur - they can be
> heard - but - because they can't be seen or readily measured - they
> can't be easily pinpointed or accurately identified.
>
> Perhaps someone has already done this ?

Alan,

There is a high-speed film somewhere of a piano wire vibrating after
being struck with a hammer. I beleive it was made by engineers at
Kimball. (Now there's a contradiction in terms!).  Anyway, Rick Florence
at ASU did a nice presentation using it a few years back at the Deerborn
convention. (Jim, I'm certain you know all about this). Anyway, you get
a very interesting perspective regarding the relationships of the hammer
and string, and even more so, how the string vibrates. Your idea sounds
equally interesting and I would be very interested in seeing it if you
can get it up and running.

Rob Goodale, RPT