Rescaling question

David McCord david@gv.net
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:41:59 -0700

The difference in overall tension is about 1700 lbs, or roughly less than
5% increase in tension. It's extremely unlikely that you will exceed the
strength of the plate. There is a *remote* possibility, but I have never
heard of a failed cast iron plate failure from a rescaling procedure. Most
folks skip such carefull calculations, and never have a problem.

The risk of a plate failure is miniscule, and the prospects for a better
sounding piano are great. I'd say, do it.

David McCord