Kawai K67D

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:49:42 -0700

Thanks to Jim Harvey for the great answer. Extremely well said.

This serial number isn't in our records - but our records aren't very
good that far back, so this doesn't mean much. It might be a gray-market
piano though.

If the strings are breaking this much, here is my recommended way to
handle it:

1. Restring at least the 2 treble sections, but preferably the whole
piano. It's old enough that it would need it after heavy use.
	As part of the restringing, smooth the capo bar and make sure it
is not too flat on the bottom.
	You should be able to ream and repin the existing pinblock - it
is made of hard maple, and should be stabilized now if it has been in
the US for a few years. If the pin holes have been bunged up too much,
or if the pinblock laminates are coming apart from someone pounding the
pins in without support, then the new pinblock is a good idea.

2. If the hammers can still be shaped and voiced (not worn out), shape
the hammers back to a nice, somewhat pointed shape. Hammer wear combined
with heavy playing are the main cause of string breakage.
	If the hammers are too worn to file well, replace them.
Restringing without properly shaped hammers will bring on the breakage
very soon again.

3. Let the pianist know that the hammers should be lightly filed once a
year to maintain the shape as part of regular maintenance. This will
help keep string breakage to a minimum.

Good luck!

Don Mannino RPT

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...