basic questions

Douglas Hershberger dbhersh@home.com
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:19:00 -0700

Roger,list
   I'm in So. Calif. so I guess that qualifies as the far west. I have
had good luck with steam and voicing. I learned this technique from my
friend Steve Schell: I buy those blue shop towels(thick paper) from Home
depot or whatever. As someone else mentioned, wet the towel and wring it
out pretty good. Double the towel over and place over the tops of a
section of hammers. I just use a travel type iron set pretty hot for
cotton or wool and touch it to the tops of the hammers for seconds. Just
long enough for the paper towel to get kind of white looking. You can
tell that the moisture is being sucked out of the towel and into the
hammer. BE CAUTIOUS! A little goes a long way. It seems to me like the
hammer brightens back up after a while, but not all the way. It is very
fast and a useful trick.
Doug Hershberger,RPT