basic questions

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 20:33:27

At 02:16 AM 8/14/98 -0600, Roger wrote:
>Hi Susan,
>         Nice to hear from you, love you articals, great job. Thanks for
>reminding me that I use the iron reversed. Funny how the mind goes blank at
>the keyboard.  Have you tried light touch up voicing with your iron? I'd
>like some feed back from the far west.
>Regards Roger.

Thanks, Roger.

It really helps me to keep going when people say they like the column.

I have used the iron for brightening the tone on the SD-10. The humidity
was high on the coast, too, so I think drying out (temporary) as well as a
small amount of surface compression helped. Not a huge effect, but a
pleasing sound. It also made the hammers look very neat and smooth after
filing. Thanks for suggesting that I buy the iron. I also used Pianotek's
rheostat, which kept me from scorching the hammers when I got over-excited.

I haven't used it yet for touch-up steaming at the strike point. I'll let
you know how that worked for me when I come across a piano which needs it.
I have done a little bit the same thing by applying a few drops of vodka
right on the strike point, tapering down to just one on the left side in
the high treble. (Left side to provide a softer tone when using the shift
pedal.)

Does anyone else soften the strike point more on the left side to help the
shift effect? If not, can you tell me about any drawbacks of doing it?

I've started calling vodka "cold steam in a bottle." I've used the little
plastic hypo-oiler to control how much I put on.

Susan

P.S. I did have one bad moment of inattention when I tried to guide the
iron, held in my right hand, by taking hold of it with my left _in front
of_ the handle. One more thing I don't intend to do again. Immediate and
frequent contact with lots of ice in a ziploc bag is recommended ... then
aloe vera on a bandaid. Stopped hurting in a few hours.
Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com