Inharmonicity - causes

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 23:15:13 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard and others:

Typically the cents deviation of partials can be plotted on graph paper by
setting
up cents on the vertical axis and the Partial numbers squared on the
horizontal axis. The curve you get will be a straight line slanting upward.
Para-Inharmonicity is any deviation from that straight line. It usually
manifests itself by showing the 2nd partial being sharper than the 3rd
partial or any other anomaly. My best guess is that this is caused by
board relationships. It is worse at the Tenor breaks on plain strings. I
do not have a clue as to how to correct this other than changing the mass

Because of this erratic behavior of lower numbered partials it is my belief
that notes in this area should be tuned by higher partials which are
more regular, not lower partials. I tuned a Janssen console today in which
it was best to use the 4-2 matching partials going down into the upper
Bass area. 6-3 matching was too wide. It would have been alright to tune
by the 6th partials, but not 6-3 matching partials. With the new SAT III
one can tune smoothly across the Tenor break on small pianos by decreasing
the double octave stretch and still tune by the higher 6th partial. As one
goes lower into the Bass the matching can be made closer to the 6-3
matching relationship. All of this can be adjusted on the fly.

When tuning these kind of pianos strictly aurally, it is necessary to
continually make compromise adjustments to keep as many things nearly in
line as possible. There are trade-offs between keeping smooth 10ths, smooth
octaves and smooth 5ths going across the break. Another neat thing about the
SAT III is that one can change the stretch numbers on the fly without
remeasuring in the normal way. Neat Huh? This facilitates tuning across
the wound string break in the Tenor section.

Jim Coleman, Sr.
PS Here is an example of plotting inharmonicity in cents versus partial num.
squared:

S         x

          1  2    4        8                16
          Partial No.

If the Inharmonicity were plotted again partial number, the curve would
swoop up like the upper surface of a trumpet bell.  JWC