The real answer to inharmonicity is...

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 11:57:34 -0500 (CDT)

At 10:58 AM 8/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Keith wrote:
>
>"The wrapping tries to make the string believe it's longer than it really is."
>
>I think the wrap should give the string a maximum of flexability.
>
>        Newton

Yep. I can't say whether it should or not, but it does. Not long ago, trying
to come up with a mechanical impedance formula for plain and wound strings,
I did some beam deflection experiments on wound strings with and without the
wrap to see how much stiffness the wrap added. The modulus of elasticity of
the copper wrap turned out to be just a little over 0.003 that of the core
wire by my count. That's why changing the wrap sizes has so little effect on
inharmonicity (ends being left alone), when it has so much effect on
tension. A change in core size will have far more effect on stiffness (and
little on tension), and therefor more effect on inharmonicity.

 Ron