Rescaling question

Sun, 16 Aug 1998 23:26:58 -0700

David McCord wrote:

> The difference in overall tension is about 1700 lbs, or roughly less than
> 5% increase in tension. It's extremely unlikely that you will exceed the
> strength of the plate. There is a *remote* possibility, but I have never
> heard of a failed cast iron plate failure from a rescaling procedure. Most
> folks skip such carefull calculations, and never have a problem.

I have.  Several of them.  And most of them were on lesser-known pianos such as
the Jesse French.  As I said earlier, the problem area is at the bass/tenor
break.  If this looks adequately strong then there probably won't be any problem.

> The risk of a plate failure is miniscule, and the prospects for a better
> sounding piano are great. I'd say, do it.
>
> David McCord

You're right.  The risk of plate failure is minuscule -- but it does exist.
Perhaps not today, but what about that technician who comes along after it hasn't
been tuned for 12 years and gives it a good pitch raise?

The prospects for a better sounding piano also exist within the original tension
limits.

-- ddf