New Wurlitzers

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:05:16 -0500 (CDT)

Hi everybody,

   I'm back from vacation :-( and from tuning for a large sale in the Civic
Center for a Baldwin dealer in Beaumont. :-) Early starting and late
stopping. The dealer treated me great though: put me up in a nice Holiday
Inn, paid for some meals, gave me extra pay above what my actual bill was
and still wantsme
to come back whenever I have a day or two to work. All in all, a great dealer
to work for. They even give a 10 yr. warranty on most of their used
instruments. He stands behind the instrument and the work.
   Way too many pianos (app. 100) for one person to tune in the time
available but I managed to get all the grands and a few of the verticals
tuned. Thought some of you might be interested in comments on the new
Wurlitzer grands made
by Samick for Baldwin.
   I haven't had much experience with Samicks but from what I have had,
these Wurlitzers are an improvement. Especially in tone. I *think* the
hammers are from Baldwin (red underfelt) and are a lot softer than the ones
Samicks usually  have. So the basic tone is much improved. Even the very
small ones don't sound too bad and the ones over 5' sound fairly good. Some
*almost* too soft.
   Except for having to do pitch raises on them all, the biggest problem
they seem to consistently have is very poor damper regulation. They all had
notes, from the trichord section on down, which did not dampen well at all.
The dampers would twist as they came out of the strings and some were bent
to one side or the other enough that a string would ring through. So I
spent several hours working on dampers instead of tuning.
   The only other problem I noticed was that a tuning pin or two in the
tenor area on one piano was so close to the stretcher wood that even my
rounded
head tip mashed into the wood a little as I tried to turn the pin.
   All could use a thorough prepping of course, but if/when these problems
are corrected, they might have a fairly decent low-cost grand if other
problems don't surface with use and age.
   Quite a way to end my vacation, but at least it got me back into a work
mode to get ready for school to start next week.

Regards,
Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music                  (__)
University of Houston                   (oo)        Mathematical Cow
Houston, TX 77204-4893         /---------\/     (Developer of cow-culus)
713-743-3226                  / | x=a(b)||
713-743-3226                 *  ||------||
atodd@uh.edu                    ~~      ~~
http://www.music.uh.edu/