Grungy hammers

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:02:12 -0500

At 10:56 PM 8/15/98 , you wrote:
> Use a 2" wide folded strip of
>cloth between the jacks and the knuckles, this will cause the hammers to
>block,

>Have a nice day, Roger

I thought this idea of using a piece of cloth in between the knuckles and
the jack was a great technique to help in blocking the hammers to the
strings to help check string level and hammer/string contact.

Unfortunately, on a rather expensive piano I found out too late that the
cloth under the knuckles raised the hammers enough that they rubbed on the
underside of the pinblock.  The underside of the pinblock had some black
substance that rubbed onto the hammers and made the hammers all grungy
looking.  What did I do wrong?  Or is there any way to prevent this from
happening?

Sincerely,
David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, Missouri
dkvander@clandjop.com

http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/

#pianotech page:

http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html

New web page for the Joplin Community Concert Association

http://www.concerts.joplin.com