Samick (again)

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:42:43 -0600

Hi Avery,
          I'm not a Samick expert, but almost 20yrs of working on
D.H.Baldwin's Wurlitzer, Horugal,ect. A slight smile or maybe a broad grin.
Protek will not last, trust me on that one. Buy a small bottle of rubbing
alcohol and mix with 50% water, do both the hammer and wippen flanges if
you can leave for 24hrs to dry the pinning turns out perfect, if not dry
with a hair dryer, don't let things get too warm as I think it tends to
over shrink the bushing due to the C/P expanding. You will probably find
damper timing is out. You will find a big difference in touch weight
spreads after the treatment. It is also worth the time to adjust the wippen
flange assist springs, very few of the units that I have seen have had them
adjusted, to adjust, open up the spring to add tension, then stroke the
spring down to get the desired touch weight, the customer will love you,
controlled ppp at last. Seating the strings and tapping the bridge pins
will remove most of the false beats from these units.
Good Luck Roger

At 02:43 PM 18/08/98 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>
>   For all you Samick experts out there, I have a question. I have to go
>tune a Samick grand tomorrow and also decide what to do about tight pinning
>problems.
>   In February of 1997, I repinned 6 hammer flanges. Now, from her
>description, it sounds like more of the same, except some of it may also be
>jack pinning.
>   Short of doing a complete repinning job, would the alcohol/water
>shrinking solution or Protek be a viable alternative? I'd like to correct
>the problem more or less permanently since this seems as though it's going
>to keep recurring. Has that been your experience? I don't know the exact
>age, but I believe it's a relatively new instrument.
>   Thanks for any words of wisdom.
>
>Avery
>
>___________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT
>Moores School of Music                  (__)
>University of Houston                   (oo)        Mathematical Cow
>Houston, TX 77204-4893         /---------\/     (Developer of cow-culus)
>713-743-3226                  / | x=a(b)||
>713-743-3226                 *  ||------||
>atodd@uh.edu                    ~~      ~~
>http://www.music.uh.edu/

Roger Jolly