New Wurlitzers

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 20:47:14 -0600

Hi Avery,
          Missed the Chickering portion of your post. The 410 scale is one
of Del's babies, probably one of the finest scales by any one, for under
5ft. Del the brand of Scotch is OBAN. The 507 was reverse engineered from
the Baldwin model R scale. If the acujust is as low as you state, it would
seem that you have excessive down bearing, this can cause a loss of sustain
and would prevent the upper partials fully developing at the correct
ratios.  It is also possible that the plate height was incorrectly set, and
some wise a-- tried to compensate on the hitch pins. The scale and action
on these pianos is by and large very good, trap work is another story.
Regards Roger

>   I also want to ask about the new Chickerings from Baldwin. There was only
>one at the sale and I didn't like it at all. Particularly the bass section.
>It tended to sound like the old 'stick with a string mounted on a washtub'
>bass sound. Really pretty bad. Do you have any experience with these?
>   I noticed that it also has the acu-just hitch pins. I'm wondering if
>they were set correctly because in the first treble section especially, the
>strings were VERY low on the pin. One or two were almost resting on the
>plate. Is this normal? I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me
>about this. (Yes, I DO plan on talking to Kent Webb about it.)  :-) Thanks.

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.