Difficult clients

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 07:53:23

At 07:29 AM 8/19/98 -0400, you wrote:
>> >What should I tell him?  I cannot seem to keep him happy.
>
>Friends:
>
>>From time to time I give consideration to what to do in these cases.
>I've pondered saying, "I really get the impression that you are
>dissatisfied with my work, which makes me dissatisfied as well.  Perhaps
>we would both be happier if we parted ways and you sought another piano
>technician."
>
>If the client, underneath the bickering, really does appreciate your
>work, that information might come to the surface and you could continue
>working for him.  If not, well, then it might be best to follow through,
>say goodbye, and breathe a sigh of relief.  Response?
>
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>Lititz, PA

Clyde ---

I try to get to the bottom of things, and usually win over troublesome
clients by smothering their complaints in work and explanations. However,
three times in 20 years I've said, "I think you should find another piano
tuner, since you are dissatisfied." Twice we agreed to part, and one of
these people told another tuner later that he had been wrong about me
(wouldn't tell _me_, of course!) The third was a nightmare, and I returned
the fee just to get rid of the person. Life's too short to live on that level.

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370

"Agree with me now: it will save so much time."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant