Samick (again)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:52:15

List, Richard, Avery, Jim --

Everyone seems so sure that tight flange bushings are the problem, yet I've
never known a Samick to seize up from anything except failure of the center
pin plating. The ones I've seen don't exhibit normal symptoms of pianos
from damp places (most notes sluggish, some worse than others.) Instead, I
see all-or-none failure, with the ones which have failed so tight you can
hardly turn them even by hand, and the rest not sluggish at all. When I
inspect the pins on the bad ones I see the brass showing in the area which
contacted the cloth, with score marks from where the fragments of nickel
plating scraped.

Has anyone else noticed these things? At one point I even put some of these
scored pins in a baggie and sent them to Samick, hoping that someone up the
line would look at them, and stop the problem at the source. I think that
Samick's awareness that their center pins sometimes fail may account for
their willingness to replace pianos. It costs them a lot to have whole
actions repinned as they gradually fail over the years. Apparently some
batches of plated pins are fine, and others are bad, so replacement would
usually work out okay. Expensive solution, though.

A little easing with broaches and repinning with non-plated pins solves the
problem. At least, I've never had to repin any twice. The trouble is that
if hammers go, wippens and jacks and rep levers and underlevers will
gradually follow suit, since they were all pinned from the same batch. The
hammer centers just go first because of the heavy use they get.

Susan