strip muting: pitch question

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:19:23 EDT

<<
 I looked at the archives (strip muting) but don't see an answer to this
 question:

 Is the center string of a trichord in a piano's midsection less likely to
 shift in pitch than the outer strings during a tuning?

 This has been my impression over the years.  I thought about it recently
 when I had the opportunity to do an RCT tuning for the first time and was
 following the suggestions of the owner of the RCT, to "start with A1 and use
 only one rubber mute" (which I did).

 Can't make much of a judgement based on one tuning, but I missed the T-strip
 a lot.  'Course,  I missed my blankie, too,  when they took that away from
 me.

 Rob Stuart-Vail

Rob:

It is my impression that none of the strings shift in pitch. I am of the
belief that it is the increase preasure on the bridge that causes pitches to
change during a tuning, unless, of course, the pin wasn't set properly, or the
string wasn't stabalized.

The contention seems to be that starting on A0 is putting preasure on the
bridge in a different way than starting in the middle and going up or down. I
have done tunings three ways. Strip mute, and tune from the middlle down and
then up (aurally). Strip mute and start at A0,  and started at A0 with a
rubber mute. My conclusion is that there is no difference in the outcome.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis