WD40

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:22:36 EDT

I think we have found an engineer amongst us. BOO!!!   HISSS!!!!

Thanks for explaining to us, Jim, in terms none of can understand. :):):)

Wim

<< WD40 states clearly on the container that it can be used to free sticky
 mechanisms....in engineering terms that means "promotes non momentarily
 excessively restrained frictional interface within the mechanical
 system"...i.e. "sticky"
   As the pinblock/tuning pin interface is a mechanical system that requires
 friction developed by hole size/pin size relationships and the
 convergence/divergence among differing layers of the pinblock to maintain the
 coefficient of friction, (resistance), against string flattening (musically)
 which would happen if the frictional interface were of insufficient pressure
 gradient required to maintain stable positioning of the pin/pinblock
 interface.........sigh....and since a primary purpose of WD40 is to "free
 sticky mechanisms it would seem obvious to me that the use of WD40 would be
 contraindoicated in this usage.
   A normally intelligent person, of non engineering background, would accept
 this 'fact' as a 'fact' and not try to understand when something works as
 advertised why it did what it said it would do!!!!

   So tell your engineer, in polite terms, that; " WD40 makes the interface
 inefficient and unable to accomplish the task as designed, due to altered
 parameters related to application of a contraindicated substance which
 has/will defeat design characteristics of the mechanical sytems principally
 inherent within the tension maintaining substructure of said piano.

   Or alternatively...........Mr. Customer just how stupid can you be?  :-)
 Jim Bryant (FL) >>