Difficult clients

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:44:23 EDT

<< From time to time I give consideration to what to do in these cases.
 I've pondered saying, "I really get the impression that you are
 dissatisfied with my work, which makes me dissatisfied as well.  Perhaps
 we would both be happier if we parted ways and you sought another piano
 technician."

 If the client, underneath the bickering, really does appreciate your
 work, that information might come to the surface and you could continue
 working for him.  If not, well, then it might be best to follow through,
 say goodbye, and breathe a sigh of relief.  Response?

 Clyde Hollinger, RPT
 Lititz, PA

On the one hand, I would tend to agree that sometimes it is best to sever the
realtionship with a client. But on the other hand, I think it is imperative
that we try our best to solve any and all problems associated with a piano,
even if means getting another technician to help you analyze the problem and
coming up with a solution.

To suggest to a client that he is not satisfied with your work, which makes
you unhappy, leaves yourself wide open for additional criticism. Bad news
travels much faster than good news. One dissastified customer will let about
10 people know they are dissatisfied with you, and those ten will each tell
another 5. That is an awfull lot of people hearing how "bad" you were, even if
it isn't you fault.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis