strip muting: pitch question

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:06:24 -0500 (CDT)

>And I say:
>
>OK,  let's go with the idea of the pressure on the bridge causing a shift.
>When I'm checking over my unisons and I find one where a string has drifted
>a bit
>it almost always is *not* the middle string of the unison.
>
>I wonder what others will say about this.
>
>Rob

If you tuned the middle string first, it has been hit roughly twice as much
as one of the outside strings, and roughly three times as much as the other
since you tuned it. It could very well be out of tune with the rest of the
piano, but you tuned the outsides to it as you pounded it out, so it's more
likely to be in tune with one of the outside strings than the two outside
strings are to be tuned to each other.

That's what this other will say.

 Ron