Inharmonicity - so what?

conrad hoffsommer hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:25:51 -0500 (CDT)

Jim,

>Del;
> Didn't someone, or several someones, do some experimentation using a priciple
>something similar??  It seems to me that the thrust of this experimentation
>was to place iron shavings on the soundboard , excite the board with some such
>device and see the vibratory patterns, etc., that developed, or am I just
>having hot flashes?
>Jim Bryant (FL)

We must be having the same hot flashes - I recall a video/demonstration way
back at Philly '80 by Kimball (i think) which used sawdust or sand to show
the node pattern of a soundboard driven at different frequencies.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer 		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College			Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive		hoffsoco@luther.edu
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

Phillip's Law:
Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.