Disklavier vs. any player

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:39:35 -0700

Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> Hi Ed:
>
> I agree with most of your comments, however, I have never heard a disklavier
> play as softly as the PianoDisc at the Cal St Convention over a year ago in
> Sacramento.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 ETomlinCF3@aol.com wrote:
>
> > The Disklavier is the superior product.  They have the only self diagnostic
> > system.  Fiber optic sensors.  The quietest operation in the player business.
> > They have RAM onboard to load many disks at once to shuffle up to more than
> > several hours of continuous play.  The best feature is it is not a " one size
> > fits all" system put on by a local tech.  It is a system factory installed by
> > the world largest and most compitent company for this sort of product.  Viva
> > La Disklavier.  Please ask for more differences from the dealer you are
> > comparing systems with.  You will choose Yamaha if you become educated.  They
> > are not all alike as some have said.
> >
> > Ed Tomlinson

I highly respect the Disklavier and beleive it is a very fine product. I
would not, however, be so quick to discount others. I agree with Jim,
the Pianodisc system seems to have a wider dynamic range, particularly
with it's ability to play softly. I would acknowledge that the the
Yamaha record system is impressive, but the PianoDisc design does what
it is suposed to do. Two noteworthy disadvantage, however, of the
Disklavier: 1. It is a rather pricy product. 2. The consumer is limited
to Yamaha pianos. Yamaha builds exceptionally fine pianos but not all
consumers agree.

The notion "One Size Fits All" is not entirely accurate. True, the core
of the system is the same but each must be custom fit. There are also
calibrations made to the piano so that the system "learns" the touch
weight, response, minumum velosities, and so on. Another important
criteria is the quality of the installation job. If the job was sloppy
it is far more likely to be less effecient and possibly "noisy", as you
have mentioned. But a good job can have impressive results.

Don't mis-understand me here, I'm NOT knocking Disklavier. On the
contrary they are very nice systems. In fact I just serviced one last
week. What I am saying is that others, particularly Pianodisc, ain't all
that bad.

Peace,

Rob Goodale, RPT