flakey plated centerpins

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:10:40

At 10:34 PM 8/21/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Susan:
>
>Just a brief followup on the scored plated centerpins. One way to tell
>ahead of time if you have this plating problem when you have discovered
>a sluggish flange is to pressure work the flange (pulling and pushing as
>you rotate it). If the flange gets tighter, you definitely have the plating
>flaking problem.
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr.

Yes, I noticed this too! And my customers corroborated. They'd say that the
piano worked okay when they started playing, but the longer they played the
slower the notes got. The friction heats the pins up and they seize worse,
which is the opposite of "normal" tightness from high humidity.

Thanks, Jim.

Susan

P.S. Do you have any explanation for why this happens?

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com