"first" jobs

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 07:22:53 -0400

> I think it would be an adventure if we shared some of our first jobs.

My first tuning job was on my parents' piano when I was, oh, maybe 14.
They knew a guy who had his own tuning hammer and they borrowed it for
me.  I used one of the little round chrome-and-black pitchpipes to get
started.  I'm sure it was an awful tuning by any standard, but the old
upright piano was a whole lot better after I finished.

I started tuning for income before I knew anything about tuning.  I
couldn't figure out why the 1/2-step flat piano still sounded so
terrible after tuning it to pitch on one pass.  I made two following
trips, I believe, before I was satisfied, and made about twenty bucks
(this was probably in the late 60's).

Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA