FAC numbers

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 02:57:55 -0500

Hi Jim
	Hmm across the board they were off one cent give or take .2  or .3 cents.
 It looks like A4 dropped a  little.  But not enough to call for a pitch
raise....

You wrote...

> For those who are not familiar with FAC numbers used with the SATs, the
> first number represents the difference between the 4th and 8th partials
of
> the note F3. The second number represents the difference between the 2nd

> and 4th partials of A4. The third number represents the difference
> between the 1st and 2nd partials of C6.

Jim could you explain for us "donkey cart tuners", (I hope you appreciate
that ; ) (OK  so it seems I put my foot in it ) why F3, A4, and C6 were
chosen for the FAC, and why the difference between such a wide range of
partials beginning with the 4th and 8th partials of F3?
>From theory F to C is a fifth which is sounds 3 partial to 2 partial. How
come a third partial isn't measured?

Actually you don't have to explain as from what I have heard of the FAC
formulation, these machines seems as accurate as the ear, and I am sure
there are demonstrations that prove that either is superior, or both are
better.
	As an aural tuner, I am wondering how you feel about the choice for
partials that are measured in the FAC.

Richard Moody

ps You wrote

> When I came back today to do the fine tuning, they were:   14.5, 8.0,
5.7.
> The change is not due to the strings getting longer, but shorter if
> anything. The diameters did not change. The bends at the terminations
> may have changed slightly. I still think that it has something to do
with
> the soundboard loading.

My guess is,  if the soundboard presses up on the strings a little more
they go sharp.  If the crown dips a miniscule, the pitch drop it seems can
be detected by machine... If the cabinet door sticks in wet weather, I
wonder what the sb does.

Richard Moody