FAC numbers

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 22:07:24 -0700 (MST)

Hi richard:

The F, A, and C were chosen for very important reasons. If you know what the
inharmonicity of F3 is and can locate that note, you know how you want to
tune Bb0 (it is the 6th partial of Bb0). If you know the inharmonicity of
A4, you can accurately locate A4, A3, A5, A6 and A7. If you know the
inharmonicity of C6, you can locate C6, C7, and C8. If you can locate
all of these, then you can do a mathematical smooth curving of the plotted
points and have a complete tuning for the piano. Sure, you could measure
all of the notes and make a more precise tuning (maybe), but it is not
practical except in Lab work. It takes a very lengthy computer program to
do this. There is another wise choice Dr. Sanderson made in choosing these
notes and the partials by which all notes are to be tuned. The Bass is tuned
from A0 thru B2 using the 6th partials. The section from C3 thru B4 is
tuned using the 4th partial. The section from C5 thru B5 is tuned using the
2nd partial. In each of these section these are the most important and
usually the strongest partials to be heard.

The reason for measuring the difference between the 4th and 8th partials
of F3 is because you get more consistent answers as to the the general
inharmonicity of that note. The same goes for the A4 (using 2nd and 4th
partials) and for C6 (using 1st and 2nd partials).

There is no attempt to try to tune the 5ths. If the scale of the piano
is rather decent, they will come out pretty good. If the scale is not good,
you cant do much better anyway. Oh sure, you could give more attention
to the 5ths, but this would be at the expense of consistency in 3rds,
double octaves, 10ths etc. You can't have it all on a poor scale even as
"you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

Once an inharmonicity curve is plotted, you can tune any note by any
partial you wish. Just think how many intervals are controlled by the 4th
partial which is used in the most critical part of the tuning. Octaves
(4-2 relationship), M3rds (4-5 relationships), 5ths (6-4 relationships),
P4ths (3-4 relationships), m7ths (4-7 relationships). I just can't think of
any other partial which affects so many intervals. Oh, I forgot Double
Octaves (4-1 relationships).

Tuning Octave 5 by the 2nd partials gives more accuracy than tuning by
the fundamental. Above that, the fundamental is strongest and best to tune
by.

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Richard Moody wrote:

> Hi Jim
> 	Hmm across the board they were off one cent give or take .2  or .3 cents.
>  It looks like A4 dropped a  little.  But not enough to call for a pitch
> raise....
>
> You wrote...
>
> > For those who are not familiar with FAC numbers used with the SATs, the
> > first number represents the difference between the 4th and 8th partials
> of
> > the note F3. The second number represents the difference between the 2nd
>
> > and 4th partials of A4. The third number represents the difference
> > between the 1st and 2nd partials of C6.
>

> Jim could you explain for us "donkey cart tuners", (I hope you appreciate
> that ; ) (OK  so it seems I put my foot in it ) why F3, A4, and C6 were
> chosen for the FAC, and why the difference between such a wide range of
> partials beginning with the 4th and 8th partials of F3?
> From theory F to C is a fifth which is sounds 3 partial to 2 partial. How
> come a third partial isn't measured?
>
> Actually you don't have to explain as from what I have heard of the FAC
> formulation, these machines seems as accurate as the ear, and I am sure
> there are demonstrations that prove that either is superior, or both are
> better.
> 	As an aural tuner, I am wondering how you feel about the choice for
> partials that are measured in the FAC.
>
> Richard Moody
>
> ps You wrote
>
> > When I came back today to do the fine tuning, they were:   14.5, 8.0,
> 5.7.
> > The change is not due to the strings getting longer, but shorter if
> > anything. The diameters did not change. The bends at the terminations
> > may have changed slightly. I still think that it has something to do
> with
> > the soundboard loading.
>
> My guess is,  if the soundboard presses up on the strings a little more
> they go sharp.  If the crown dips a miniscule, the pitch drop it seems can
> be detected by machine... If the cabinet door sticks in wet weather, I
> wonder what the sb does.

Actually in this case the strings pressed down upon the soundboard harder.
This puts the soundboard under greater compression. This changes the
impedance match or mismatch. I believe as this changes, more energy is
absorbed by some partials, and less energy goes into other partials. The
lower numbered partials seem to wobble more than the higher partials do.
If you view a bar graph of the partial strengths of the various partials,
you can see that more energy goes into some partial than in others. I could
go on and on, but I might only be guessing at this point.

Jim Coleman, Sr.