Potter vs. Tech Schools

Spockstein@aol.com Spockstein@aol.com
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 18:36:13 EDT

List,

I believe, in fact I know that I will be a piano technician but I ma currently
still in the process of choosing how I want to go about becoming one. I have
looked into different options such as the Randy Potter course and North
Bennett Street School in Boston, but am still undecided. So, as you have
already gathered, I am beseeching your infinite wisdom, as different as it may
be, in this problem!

There are definite advantages to both courses...examples of such being....
     Potter- Cost, tools provided, staying home (no rent, food, or most living
costs!), and even some business help.
     NBSS- hands on, supposedly a well respected school, getting to live away
from home (although I'd then have to pay all those darn things I already
mentioned above)

I would like to know your opinions in this. Is it worth the extra money to go
to a tech school? Would the education really be a lot better than Potter's?
This may sound silly, but how would I learn the business aspects of it, self-
employment and all. Are there any other schools for piano technology that
would be a good choice?

If there is any other relavent information that you wish to comment on, please
do! I want to know all you can throw at me...By the way...this may help define
myself so there can be better answers....Time spent on learning is not a big
consideration (I can take a long time if I want), I can probably afford about
any way to learn.

Thanks for even reading this, let alone commenting on it!

Sincerely,
Caleb McVey