in defense of the Chickering

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:45:22 -0500

Hello All,
I know that the A-A Chickering may not have been the same quality as the
pre-1900 ones BUT:
What pianos were they competing against in the 50's and 60's that would
have been better.  I started in the bus. in 1962 and worked for 2 different
dealers my first 10 years.  As I remember, the available new grands were
Steinway, Baldwin, Sohmer, Chickerings, Knabes, Mason & Hamlins, Kranich
and Bach, Wurlitzer are the names I remember.  The Asian pianos had just
begun in this area by the late 60's and were not a significant factor.  If
you take a look at those I have mentioned
The Chickerings do not do to badly in comparison with its' competition at
the time.  I am not talking about what used to be but the period of about
35 years ago.  I have a number of these 5'1" Chicks under my care and they
do pretty well, in my opinion.  Again, I think you have to compare them to
their competition at their time, not what may have been true many years
ago.
When I think of the very early Chickerings I think of hardly 2 exactly
alike and the problem of getting any parts to fit.  It may have been true
that they were of very high quality but parts interchangeability was not
one of their strong points.
So, Les, I may agree with you that the very early ones may have been
exquisite examples but in talking about what was available at the time  of
the 60's and 70's they don't come out too bad, in my opinion.  When I think
of the top dog S&S, I think 35 years ago and Teflon bushings.  I think
everyone was struggling.  Also remember that grands sales were not a
significant part of anyones sales except for Steinway.
I hope we can depart friends with different opinions.
 Respectfully,
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 Since 1962 in St. Louis, MO