Potter vs. Tech Schools

Norm Barrett barre46@ibm.net
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 02:09:28 -0500

Hi Caleb,
    You have asked for opinions so I will give you mine. For myself, the decision
is hands down, the Randy Potter course. However you have not mentioned anything
about your background. Do you have any musical training? Do you have mechanical
aptitude? Do you have "people skills"? A piano technician is in the service
business and must be able to deal with people.
    All the training in the world will not make you a super piano technician if
you do not have some mechanical ability. What makes this business exciting is the
challenge of applying the basic principles to so many different situations.
    Randy Potter recommends in his course that you join the Piano Technicians
Guild. This in itself would introduce you to technicians who will help you learn.
    These are just a few thoughts to consider. It will take some time to build a
customer base and your skills will determine how long. It is a wonderful business.

Norm Barrett