Pearl River pianos

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:18:08 -0500 (CDT)

The Providence P.R.s had more than a little post-production re-engineering
that the rest of the product line isn't privy to. (Don't tell Harvey I ended
a sentence in a preposition, he's sensitive to these things) The actions
were not stock, the back assembly was reinforced, and the back of the
soundboard along the bridge line was mass loaded and stiffened with hunks of
maple. I don't recall looking to see if any bracing had been added to the
keys. As far as I know, this isn't the  way they come 'off the boat'. Better
check the *real* recent P.R. pianos before you offer endorsements.
Corrections, please, if I'm wrong.

Ron

At 04:15 PM 8/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear list:
>Thanks for the spirited discussion which my letter on the rebuilt Steinway
>B with "old style wippens" kicked off.
>Today my question is: what experience have y'all had with *recent* Pearl
>River pianos?
>On the one hand, I remember seeing some at the PTG Con in San Francisco in
>1981 -- wow, they were dreadful.
>On the other hand, I took a good look at the demo model shown at this
>year's convention in Providence. I believe the piano in question was one of
>their "joint venture" (with Yamaha) studio uprights; it looked damned good!
>The hammer flange bushings were a bit more wobbly than I like (of course
>that can be said about some other brands too).
>What's your take on the piano line? How are the other models (upright and
>grand). Do any of you work for dealers who carry them?
>Inquiring minds want to know! The last time "Chinese pianos" were brought
>up on the list the responses seemed rather xenophobic.
>Thanks,
>Patrick Draine
>Billerica, MA

 Ron