Has it begun again?

Wed, 26 Aug 1998 07:46:58 -0700

James, et al.,

Sometime in the early eighties I attended the presentation of a new musical
instrument called the Kurzweil.  Part of the presentation was an address by the
genius behind the instrument, Mr Kurzweil himself.  He began his address by
stating that the nature of all musical instruments had significantly changed
with the introduction of his new instrument, and in particular the roll of the
piano in the music industry.  If I remember accurately -- and it did make quite
an impression on me at the time -- one of his statements was something like,
"Within ten years no more traditional pianos will be built.  The 'acoustic'
piano is now totally obsolete."  The last time I checked, Kurzweil was owned by
Young Chang.  And if I'm not mistaken, Young Chang still builds traditional
pianos.

The piano industry may well self destruct.  But if it does, it will be because
it has steadfastly refused to continue developing and evolving the acoustic
design of the instrument.  Not because it has been replaced by a digital box
that obsoletes itself in eighteen months and self destructs in three or four
years.

Regards,

Del