Digital pianos and inharmonicity

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:12:09 -0500

Robert Scott wrote:

>Do any of you know if there are any digital pianos that are
>designed to have inharmonicity?  It seems to me a difficult thing
>to put in to a synthesized sound, so I doubt if anyone would bother
>to do it since no one would appreciate the effort, but I could be
>wrong.  Has anyone tried to read FAC numbers from such a "piano"?
>
>Bob Scott
>Ann Arbor, Michigan

Digital pianos are specialized "sample-playback synthesizers," and their
sound is that of a recorded real piano. Therefore digital pianos tend to
have the same inharmonicity as the recorded piano did during the
recording session.

I am familiar with the tuning of the Yamaha P-200 which is a very fine
digital piano. Its tuning can be said to exhibit only natural stretch
without any "artificial" stretch. To duplicate the tuning of the P-200,
easily done with RCT's Custom Equalizer, one would put 0.1 bps stretch
into the 4:2 A3-A4, O.0 bps into the 6:3 octaves at A2, A1, and A0, 0.1
bps stretch into the 4:1 double octaves at A5 and A6, and 0.0 bps into
the 2:1 octave at A7.

Kent Swafford