Buzzing string problem

John M. Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:11:52 -0300

Phil Ryan wrote:

> A newbie question:
>
> I replaced a broken bass string with a universal replacement bass string
> and it now buzzes when played.  I think I've located the problem to be a
> loose copper winding at the end of the string where I unwound it to
> match the old string. .  I've tried pinching the copper winding with a
> pliars, but this kinda makes it worse.  Question:  Could I use a torch
> and melt the copper winding,  pinch it some more in a vice,  mash it
> with a hammer, or chuck the string and do it again with another one.
> Any adivice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil Ryan
> PTG Assoc.
> Phil,

Keep the torch away from the strings. They will lose the 'temper' or
whatever, and they will break when tension is applied.
You might try recutting the winding, in the direction of the wind to get rid
of the loose portion, and give it a twist before installing. As long as you
don't have to take off too much.
If the piano is a reasonable one, it would be a consideration to replace all
the bass strings. As long as the string broke through no fault of yours, the
other ones are probably on their last legs as well.
Regards,
John M. Ross
PTG Assoc.
Windsor, N.S.