Has it begun again? (long)

R. Goodale robert.goodale@nau.edu
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:16:21 -0600

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> This isn't just whining. I've taught enuf young children to know that they can
> have genuine physical difficulties with the modern piano action...this has
> nothing to do with "easiness" in the laziness sense characterized by you
> and Ron.  Over time it has simply become an ergonomic nightmare. How much
> more action weight can we tolerate?  How much more key dip? Are we not at
> the limit to exceed average human performance, or perhaps beyond the
> reasonable limits for the "amateur" and "learner" markets (the bulk of the
> market share).

I'm just a little bit confused here. How much more weight, how much more
dip can we tolerate? Is the piano evolving to a new level where pianist
will require steroids? (Say, this could be an idea. Re-classify piano
playing as a sport to increase school funding!) I wasn't aware that
there was an effort going on to increase weight and dip.

In all seriousness, I'm probably misunderstanding your point but it
kinda made me giggle. Perhaps you could clarify. :-)))

Rob Goodale, RPT