New York or Hamburg

John Hartman pianocraft@sprintmail.com
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:58:18 -0400

Roger,

Good to hear from you especially since my present is on it's way.  Just
the other day I really needed one of your clever key pin polishers. Are
these going to be available commercially? Please hurry!

Here is a little pointer about the spring tension weights. I have four
of them 1 gm, 1.2 gm, 1.4 gm and 1.6 gm. I usually pick 1.4 gm and the
hammer just slowly rising. I like a relatively fast rep. spring tension.
It just feels better to me. Your chouse of 1 gm seems a little slow to
me. On the other hand rep. spring tension can vary according to personal
taste.

I have read you  are considering changing the case hardware to brass.
There will be problems with the new parts fitting. The pedals will work
OK but the long hinge and top hinges will not. I have found it easier to
re-nickel plate when needed. This could be a problem if you do not have
access to a commercial plater. I have one close by but they will not
strip and polish in preparation for plating. I have setup to do this
part of the job. By all means thy to avoid this and find a plater that
will handle the whole job. I also re-plate the aliquot bridges and some
times the plate screws and lags.

This brings to mind another factor . Does this O have these bridges.
Some were made without. The one I have in the shop does and it looks
like the current M bridges will fit. The next time I find one without I
am going to see if it is practical to change it so it can use the M
bridges. This will require moving the hitch pins back.

John Hartman RPT(or equivalent)
Beacon NY