I Quit!/HT's/Pecking Order

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:17:12 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/98 2:59:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
tempola@swbell.net writes:

<< maybe I am a bit over zealous on the subject, and true it shows!

 feeling a bit humbled:

 Andy Taylor PPG (player piano guy) >>

Just wait to see what happens if you would dare to suggest using a Historical
Temperament on one of your instruments!  Not merely flames but an outright
conflagration would result.  There would be about 10 people who would attempt
to put you in the right place in the "pecking order" that has evolved on this
List.  They will invent "rules" and "laws" that until now, no one has ever
heard or thought of.  You will be condemned outright and amidst hundreds of
posts, virtually nothing of any value whatsoever will be written.

Before I joined this List, I was told that I would find "mostly crap" by a
number of people.  I have found that to be true, of course.  There are people
who will respond to almost anything but contribute nothing or even worse,
misinformation.  Rules are made up by an ad hoc committee known as the
"Baloney Bunch".

This doesn't mean that you should give up.  Keep at it, Andy.  If players are
your passion, then just hang in there and sooner or later all the "peckers"
will find someone new to peck on.  In time, you will begin to recognize which
names have something of substance to contribute.  Read those and use the
delete key on all the rest.  It is worth staying with the List for the good
information that is there.  It's not unlike the Sunday newspaper:  a huge mass
of printed material, 90% of which will have no value or importance to you,
some of it will be outrightly offensive but the 10% remainder is worth the
effort to read and retain.

Personally, I don't know how any busy technician could have the time every day
to read all the posts that appear.  You'll just have to learn to discriminate
or you'll be overwhelmed.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin