I Quit!

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:44:10 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Andy,

   Glad you reconsidered. As James G. said, I too tend to talk too much
sometimes and I also have occasionally posted something and not gotten any
feedback. But whenever I've asked a specific question about something, I've
almost invariably gotten the answer(s) I was seeking. Sometimes more than
one way to do the same thing and a way that perhaps I had never even
considered. Usually better!
   I also imagine that the vast majority of us have done more than our
share of work on "junk" pianos so that alone would rarely, if ever, be a
reason why someone didn't respond to a post of yours. That's usually the
best way to learn. The stakes are not usually so high. :-) We all get
tired, swamped with work and/or e-mail, etc. sometimes and just don't
comment because we figure someone else will. But hang in there. It's worth
it!
   There are some great people on the list, most of whom I've never met
personally, and the knowledge available here is unbelievable. There's a
flare-up of temperaments and egos occasionally, also but that type of thing
is just inherent is lists of this sort. Thankfully, it doesn't happen
often. So even when you DO get a "DUH" type of answer from someone, just
remember that that is only ONE person. There are many, many more of us out
there who wouldn't give that type of answer.
   BTW, I tried to access your web page to take a look, but my
semi-antiquated computer needed some sort of plug-in before I could
download it so I was unable to even look.

Regards,
Avery

>I would like to say 'thank you" to all the people that e-mailed me
>privately, about my concerns of the pianotech list.(including Jim Bryant who
>took what I posted completely out of context)
>
>But by and large some really nice people wrote me with words of
>encouragement. That I REALLY appreciate! I wish these nice people would post
>more!
>
>I am caught somewhere between being a player-person and a piano person. I
>know full well that the piano must be in top musical shape. sadly most
>player people dont care a whit about the piano as long as it will make a
>sort of "noise" and those people DO deserve to be ignored like they ignore
>their piano.
>
>Point being is after the player action is out you are left with a PIANO and
>that is why I am here. unlike regular pianos that are pampered, and still in
>very good shape, players have often have never seen a tuning for several
>decades, beat to death and worn out, bad pinblocks, you name it, I have seen
>it. Everyone has heard the "clangy" rock hard hammered player piano grinding
>out some ragtime tune, sounding like it hasn't been tuned since it was new,
>and the general public thinks they are supposed to sound like that. These
>machines did not sound like that when they were new and hearing a
>performance from a Ampico that was rebuilt properly, amazes everyone within
>earshot.
>
>The days of just rebuilding a player action  and just putting it back in the
>piano is gone. these instruments are 80+ years old and player rebuilders
>such as myself have to learn proper piano repairs and rebuilding methods
>since most of the original materials have gone bad. 80% of the time the
>piano will need new strings, hammers butts,dampers and soundboard repairs
>and a pinblock sometimes.
>
>That is why I am here to learn different methods of repair and maybe help
>someone with something I have learned the hard way., hence my presence here.
>I am very proud of what I do , and care about what I service. I see the
>pianotech list as a opportunity to raise my level of craftsmanship.
>
>It was never my intention to 'flame' ANYONE that was a member of PTG, and I
>think my last posting clearly stated that. I just brought up the fact that I
>was not, thats all.
>
>so to answer the question "have you reconsidered?" yes I have. and I
>appreciate everyone writing with their words of support and encouragement!
>maybe I am a bit over zealous on the subject, and true it shows!
>
>feeling a bit humbled:
>
>Andy Taylor PPG (player piano guy)

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music