On Topic: Bridge notching problem.

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:38:28 -0500 (CDT)

At 07:40 PM 8/28/98, you wrote:
>Situation:
>
>Church buys a Steinway A, newly rebuilt. (Board, bridgecaps , action, you
>get the idea) Nicely done, the piano is great except for:
>
>Top octave or so, the bridge notching is such that the top of the bridge
>extends beyond the bridge pins resulting in poor termination, sounds
>awful, untunable.  Without going into all the details, the end result is
>that if it's going to get taken care of, I will have to do it.  Pulling
>the bridge pins is *very* difficult as they are new, and *real* tight.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get these pins out without
>damaging the bridge top?  I have tried to pull them straight out, but do
>not have the strength.  And should I pry them out, won't I elongate, or
>deform the hole causing other problems?  Any and all suggestions
>appreciated.
>
>CF
>
>--
>Charles Farinella, RPT<c_farinella@conknet.com>

Roger has the idea, but didn't go far enough. Hie thee to the nearest
automotive supply store and purchase the cheapest impact dent puller you can
find. Get rid of the screw end, and possibly the shaft, and save the weight.
Cannibalize a small vise grip by removing the adjustable screw from the
back. Thread the dent puller shaft, if it's the right size - a suitably
sized replacement if it isn't, and reassemble the dent puller with the vise
grip in place of the screw (with a wing nut as a locking nut at the back end
of the vise grip). Grip the pin with the vise grip and whack it out with the
sliding weight in one stroke. Repeat as necessary. Life is sweet.

FYI, and BTW (FUBAR need not apply): This grippy little impact puller also
works WONDERFULLY for key pins.

You're welcome,
 Ron