Chickering (was Re: New Wurlitzers)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 15:46:56 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Del,

   My original post and Rogers' comments are below. It looks like I'm going
to be doing some work for this dealer once or twice a month, so I'd like to
find out if there's anything I can do to improve the Chickering grand
mentioned below. No one except Roger responded to that part of my post.
   In case it will help, the model and serial numbers are: Model 410 FP,
#355957.
   If bearing *is* the problem (and how would I determine that), is there
any way to correct it short of releasing tension and starting all over? I
just recently finished doing a Baldwin L and don't relish the thought of
doing that.
   Do you or Baldwin have an instruction sheet for setting bearing on the
Chickerings? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards,
Avery

ROGERS' POST:
>          Missed the Chickering portion of your post. The 410 scale is one
>of Del's babies, probably one of the finest scales by any one, for under
>5ft. Del the brand of Scotch is OBAN. The 507 was reverse engineered from
>the Baldwin model R scale. If the acujust is as low as you state, it would
>seem that you have excessive down bearing, this can cause a loss of sustain
>and would prevent the upper partials fully developing at the correct
>ratios.  It is also possible that the plate height was incorrectly set, and
>some wise a-- tried to compensate on the hitch pins. The scale and action
>on these pianos is by and large very good, trap work is another story.
>Regards Roger

MY POST:
>>   I also want to ask about the new Chickerings from Baldwin. There was only
>>one at the sale and I didn't like it at all. Particularly the bass section.
>>It tended to sound like the old 'stick with a string mounted on a washtub'
>>bass sound. Really pretty bad. Do you have any experience with these?
>>   I noticed that it also has the acu-just hitch pins. I'm wondering if
>>they were set correctly because in the first treble section especially, the
>>strings were VERY low on the pin. One or two were almost resting on the
>>plate. Is this normal? I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me
>>about this. (Yes, I DO plan on talking to Kent Webb about it.)  :-) Thanks.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893